Apply For A Latvia Visa Online
As an equal member of the Schengen Area, the Republic of Latvia applies the common Schengen Area rules to all travelers. Therefore, all Schengen Area nationals traveling to Latvia only need an identification document to enter its territory.
On the other hand, if you are a non-Schengen national traveling to Latvia, you will need to present several documents to the border officers at the Latvian port of entry: These documents are as follows:
- A valid passport or travel document. Valid for at least three more months beyond you planned date of exit from Schengen, and issued within the last 10 years.
- A visa – if you are subject to Latvian visa regime.
- Travel Health Insurance. Health insurance must guarantee the covering of expenses related to health care in Latvia with a minimum of €30,000, including transportation back to your home country in case of serious illness or death.
In addition, the Latvian border officer may ask you some questions related to your trip to Latvia, as i.e.:
- What is your purpose of visiting Latvia?
- How long do you intend to stay in Latvia?
- Where are you going to stay in Latvia? Etc.
Upon being permitted to enter the territory of Latvia by the border officer, make sure that they (the border officer) stamp your passport when you enter Latvia. Without a stamp, you could be fined or detained from Latvia.
Who Needs a Schengen Visa to Enter Latvia?
You will need a short-stay visa to enter Latvia and any other member country of the Schengen zone, if you belong to one of the following categories:
- You are a passport holder of a third-world country that has not reached a visa liberalization agreement with the Schengen states.
- You are a passport holder of a third-world country that has signed a visa liberalization agreement with the Schengen states, but you were previously rejected from entering Latvia or any other Schengen country.
Note that a Schengen Visa to Latvia permits you to stay in Latvia for up to 90 days within a 180-day period. If you need to remain in Latvia for a longer period, you need to apply for a Latvian National Visa instead.
What Documents Are Required for a Latvia Schengen Visa Application?
The application process for a Latvian short-stay visa includes the submission of several documents to the Latvian embassy/consulate in your country of residence. These documents are required to show you meet the criteria to enter the territory of Latvia.
The statutory documents that you need to submit in order to show you please the Latvia visa requirements are as follows:
- Latvian visa application form. Complete the application form for a Latvian short-stay visa by giving in all of the required information. Do not forget to sign it at the end after you print it. If you feel unsure about completing this form, here you can learn how to Fill-in the Schengen Visa Application Form!
- Two identical photos. The photos should be no older than three months and taken according to the photo requirements for Latvian Schengen visa application.
- Your valid passport. Before applying for a Latvian short-stay visa make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages, and three months of validity beyond the date you plan to leave Latvia and the whole territory of Schengen. Passports older than ten years will not be accepted.
- Copies of your previous visas (if applicable).
- Latvia Travel Health Insurance. Valid for the whole Schengen territory, covering expenses related to health care with a minimum of €30,000, including transportation back to your home country in case of serious illness or repatriation in case of death.
- Proof of travel arrangements:
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary. If you plan to reach Latvia through air, submit a document that shows you have a booked flight, to enter and leave Latvia. This document should specify flight numbers, dates, and your details.
- Bus/train ticket.
- When travelling by car. Car registration, car insurance, return travel tickets (ferry or Eurotunnel) mentioning the car’s registration number and driver’s driving license.
- Proof of accommodation. For the whole duration of the intended stay in the Republic of Latvia. I.e. Proof of a hotel reservation in Latvia.
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay in Latvia. You will need to prove to the Latvian embassy/consulate where you file your application that you have at least 14€ per each day you plan spending in Latvia. If you plan to stay for 30 days and more, you will need to attest possessing at least 430 for your whole period of stay.
- A cover letter. A personal letter in which you explain why you are applying to visit Latvia, how long you plan to stay, when will you leave and other details.
- Proof of civil status. This could be a marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, etc.
Additional Latvian Visa Requirements Based on Your Employment Status
According to your employment status, you will need to submit some additional Latvian visa required documents, which are as follows:
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Proof of regular income generated by property, for the last 6 months
Additional Latvian Visa Requirements for Minors
All underage children filing an application for short-stay visa to Latvia, will need to prove they meet the additional Latvian Visa Requirements for minors, by submitting the following documents:
- Birth certificate of the minor traveling to Latvia.
- Latvia application form signed by both parents.
- Family court order. In cases where only one parent has full custody over the child.
- Certified copies of ID / passport of both parents
- If the minor will be travelling alonewith another person:
- An original and copy of the accompanying person’s passport page containing the holder’s data, and expiry date, a recent photograph and valid visa copy.
- A notarized parental authorization to travel to Latvia, signed by both parents / guardians
*Note: When applying at the Latvian embassy/consulate in home country, the guardian or parent should accompany their under-age children.
Additional Requirements Based on the Purpose of Entry to Latvia
The reason why you wish to enter Latvia determinates the Latvian visa type you have to apply for. According to the Latvian short-stay visa you are applying for, you will need to provide some additional documents. Following find the additional Latvia visa requirements based on your purpose of traveling to Latvia.
Latvia Airport Transit Visa Requirements
If you are traveling to Latvia under the sole purpose of taking another flight to your non-Schengen destination country, then you may have to apply for a Latvian airport Visa.
Once again, check the countries the nationals of which need to apply for a Latvia Airport Transit Visa to find out whether you need such a visa to transit through one of the Latvian airports or not.
Required Documents for an Airport Transit Schengen Visa to Latvia
When applying to obtain a Latvia Airport Transit visa, you must provide the following additional documents:
- A valid visa (if needed) for the final country one is travelling to.
- The flight ticket for the final country you are travelling to.
Latvia Transit Visa Requirements
Foreign nationals who need to disembark at one of the Latvian harbors to take another vessel to their non-Schengen/EEA destination country will need to apply for a Latvia Transit Visa.
Required Documents for a Transit Schengen Visa to Latvia
When applying to obtain a Latvia Transit visa, you must provide the following additional documents:
- A valid visa (if required) for the final country you are travelling to.
- The ticket for the final country you are travelling to.
- Original and photocopy of Seaman’s book (required only for seafarers).
- Letter from the inviting Shipping Company. Issued by the inviting Shipping Company Latvia (required only for seafarers).
- Employment contract. Contract with the navigation company / ship in order to board the ship (required only for seafarers).